Q: New rack and pinion 1998 Mitsubishi Mirage

Got a new rack and pinion put on my car. Is it normal for it to be smoking? The old one leaked real bad. My email is moore_taylor@hotmail.com

Hi there - no, a new steering rack should not be smoking. I wonder however, if the smoke is from oil that leaked prior to the steering rack replacement, and is burning off? Have the bottom of the vehicle steam cleaned if possible so that you can determine if there are new leaks from the work you did, and if so, where the fluid is coming from. For assistance with this possible leak, I recommend a oil leak inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.