Q: New battery, will not turn over.

I just got a new battery but when I try to turn it over it winds slowly like its dead. Fuses look good, cables are secured tightly to battery posts.

Hello, thank you for writing in. First we want to check the condition of the charging and starting systems. Check the battery cables and make sure they are not corroded. Also make sure that the battery’s ground connection is tight. Next you may want to turn to the starter and make sure it is working correctly. Tap lightly on the starter while someone cranks over the engine. Do this very carefully as to not get caught up in any moving parts. If the starter function improves, the starter has failed and needs to be replaced. If the issue persists, you will want to consider what prompted you to change the battery and reconsider the original issue. The starting system is not terribly complicated when and a no-start should be relatively easy to diagnose.