Q: New battery dead on 1990 Ford Probe V6

I had to charge my battery every morning because it was not staying charged. I drove all day without charging it or needing a jump. I did the charging every morning for a week or so. Then the next week I decided to buy a new battery. I drove a few times that day and all was well. Then I didn't start my car or drive it for 3 days, and it had the the new battery in it. The Next time I went to start my car the new battery was dead. There was nothing else in my car that would be draining electricity from the battery. Does my alternator need to be replaced?

Hello. Thanks for writing in about your 1999 Ford Probe V6. This sounds like it can be the alternator. If it is not charging the battery when the engine is running, then the battery will act like this. It needs to be load tested.

If the alternator is fine, then the issue is typically in the ignition switch. The switch fails internally and keeps the circuits from turning off properly. If the alternator is fine, then I usually do a voltage drop test of the ignition switch. If you want to have this tested and repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the battery problem and make the correct fixes.

3. New battery dead on 1990 Ford Probe V6