Q: New battery and car dies while driving?

We just put a new battery in our 2005 Ford Freestyle. While driving and slowing down it dies. The battery, check engine and oil light comes on. We put the car in park and restart it and it starts right up. But anytime we go slow or come to a stop it dies.

Hi there. Replacing the battery should not have affected the engine performance, although there is a PCM (powertrain control module)/computer relearn process. This relearn process takes place when the PCM has a loss of power and/or codes are cleared. The problem may resolve on its own. It may be, the throttle body is dirty and/or IAC (idle air control) valve is dirty or faulty. A vacuum leak could create a stalling issue. May be a vacuum line was, inadvertently, disconnected during the battery replacement. The check engine light, battery light, and oil light coming on at the time of stall, would be considered normal. I recommend having your vehicle’s dies slowing down be diagnosed and repaired by certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.