Q: New battery and car still won't start.

Car won't start. It has a new battery and I know it is not the alternator.

A: If there is a problem with the starting sys...

If there is a problem with the starting system, the car may not start due to a problem with the battery, alternator, and/or starter. It is possible that the car will not start even when the battery is new if the battery connections are loose or corroded. Corrosion can block electricity from reaching the starter motor, which is used to crank the engine. If the starter is defective, this may prevent the car from starting as well. There are also some other possible issues that would prevent the car from starting. The following are some other reasons why the car won’t start:

• No fuel/low fuel
  • No oil/low oil
  • Defective fuel injector
  • Defective spark plugs
  • Defective fuel pump
  • Engine misfiring condition
  • Clogged fuel filter
  • Defective timing belt
  • Defective timing belt tensioner
  • Electrical issue
  • Defective Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

When a car won’t start, the first thought is always that there is an issue with the battery or alternator. However, there are several other components that could prevent the car from starting, if they are defective. If your car is not starting, contact a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic who can help to diagnose your starting issue and make necessary repairs.