Q: Needing to know if the coolant fan is hydraulic or electrical?

Car is overheating at red lights and slow speed

You have a hydraulic cooling fan motor. There is a reservoir and hoses running to it. It is electrically controlled by the PCM through a solenoid. There is an issue with this system that Lincoln is aware of and has issued a Technical Service Bulletin (see TSB - 01-21-11). They have a revised part that is recommended to replace that HCF.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes P1285 and P1299 may also be stored in your PCM. Don’t let your engine run hot or that could be the end of it!

If you’d like to get this fixed and need some assistance with these checks, consider getting some help from a professional mechanic with the necessary scan tools to accurately diagnose your overheating issue. Good luck!

3. Needing to know if the coolant fan is hydraulic or electrical?