Q: Needing a car after VW Dieselgate

Hello,

I'm one of the downtrodden TDI owners that will be participating in the buyback. I don't know where to go from here. I don't know if I'm asking for the impossible. I'm looking for my first used car. I would like to spend between $6000-$15,000 on a car with AWD & good gas mileage. The Subaru's are narrow, and don't truly fit 3 people in the rear. I was looking at SUV's. The most gas efficient I've found was a Lexus RX 450h. I was trying to look for cars that you mentioned had overall low cost of ownership for the long haul. I would like something that could take me 200,000 miles & beyond. Am I looking for the impossible? Do you have suggestions? I've been a straight up Diesel gal for the last few years...bought the same car twice. I want a new home...anywhere but VW.

A: Hi there. If you are looking for a small SU...

Hi there. If you are looking for a small SUV then you will more than likely not be able to find any good ones that are diesel. There are not many available out there, and the ones that are available are not going to get the best mileage or have longevity. As for gas vehicles, if you are looking for AWD and for decent mileage then the RX450h is a good choice. In the long term this is still a good vehicle, but it does cost more to maintain then a lot of them out there. Other good SUV’s that are out there with AWD and have decent mileage are the Subaru Forester, the Acura MDX and the Ford Explorer. These will all be cheaper to maintain than the Lexus.