Q: Need to locate a drain plug on my transmission

I have a question about my car. Is there a drain plug for the torque converter on a CD4E? I want to drain and replace the transmission fluid. I would prefer to use a drain plug rather than just running the car in drive and adding fluid until the fluid turns the correct color.

Hello. Your Mazda is equipped with a drain plug on the bottom of the transmission housing. It can be easy to locate as it is different than the other bolts and has a perfectly square head instead of a typical bolt style head.

This drain plug is removed to drain the fluid and then you can refill it through the dip stick tube. When I do this service I check the fluid for any metal or other material which can indicate a pending transmission failure. Also, when reinstalling the drain plug I always put thread sealer on it to keep it from leaking. If you would like to have your transmission fluid serviced, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to perform this for you.