Q: Need tips on maintaining my car

My car is approaching 35,000 miles and I am wondering if there is anything I should replace at this time for preventative maintenance. Should I replace the fuel filter? I want to get the brake fluid flushed. Is that something easy that a mechanic could do? If so, should I get the fluid from the dealership and have the mechanic use that to flush it? Any advice is helpful.

A: On your vehicle, the fuel filter is mounted...

On your vehicle, the fuel filter is mounted in the tank and is not serviceable. While the service manual doesn't specify a service interval for brake fluid, it is a good idea to have it changed every two or three years. This is because brake fluid is hydroscopic and picks up moisture over time. You don't have to get your brake fluid from the dealer; any brand of brake fluid will do. According to the service information, the only maintenance items due on your vehicle at this time/mileage are an oil change and possibly a cabin filter. When you hit 40,000 miles, it will be time to change your spark plugs. The professionals at YourMechanic can take care of all of these services for you.