Q: Need new spark plugs and coils too early

My car has developed a misfire. I've only driven it about 40,000 miles. All the scheduled maintenance has been done since I bought it. My mechanic pulled the codes and told me three of cylinders are misfiring, and that I need three new ignition coils for them. He also said it would be a good idea to replace all six spark plugs. Between parts and work, I'm looking at $1000 in repairs. I'm okay with paying to take care of my car, but isn't it a little early for this kind of problem? Is the price reasonable? If I get this fixed, should it stay running for a while without the same kind of issues?

A: You stated that your vehicle is a four cyli...

You stated that your vehicle is a four cylinder engine, I’m confused as to why you are replacing six spark plugs?

To answer the question of "Will it happen again?". It most likely will. If three out of the four coils are bad, I would recommend to replace all four coils and plugs. Before replacing them I would check to see if the dealer will cover any of the ignition coils under any of their warranties.

A service bulletin for your vehicle says to replace all of the coils that are Bosch to Delphi brand. Bosch has had problems with handling the engine heat and fails. The coils price list for less than $100 each typically and the labor is usually around 1.5 hours to replace all of the spark plugs and coils. The spark plugs themselves list for about $24 each. I would say that the $1000 charge is a little high.

If you need any assistance with getting this done, have a certified mechanic replace your spark plugs and coils at your own convenience.