Q: Need new engine/motor

My car broke down and we thought it had run out of gas. We put some in it and when we finally got it started, it drove a few miles to the gas station, I put it in park and it died. I filled up the tank, and it wouldn't start. We thought it may need a new fuel filter, so my brother replaced it and we got it started again. I drove it a few miles down the road, maybe ten or so, then it broke down again. I had it towed to a shop and they initially told me it needed a new timing belt, then upon further inspection, they said it was actually the motor was shot. My mom has a 1996 Ford Escort with a new engine, which she drove for a few thousand miles then had transmission problems, so she hasn't driven it since. She said I could have the engine for my car, which is a 1997, so my question is, can the one from her car be put in mine, will it fit, run, etc.? Also, I have only had my car for about six months, so I'm not familiar with any past mechanical problems/repairs, etc. Thank you

The engines are different in the two year vehicles. The 1996 Escort was equipped with either a 1.8 or 1.9 liter engine and the 1997 was equipped with the 2.0 liter motor. The 2.0 is an upgraded 1.9 liter motor and will have different sensors, and accessories like the intake and exhaust. The base engine may work but since they are different I would not say they can be without problems.