Q: Need information about a Blow Off Valve

Hi I own a Subaru Impreza Sti 2013 I bought it new in 2013 it has 100000km on it now I have a question: Can a blow off valve 50-50 blow a engine!.... ??? I've already spoke with my local Subaru and they have told my NO its impossible then I contact the close tunning shop and they told me the exact same thing now I am looking to find out more from an expert! Thanks Marc

Hi Marc, First, it is important to understand what a blow off valve does and what it’s function is on a turbo charged motor. The only job a blow-off valve is supposed to perform is to relieve excess turbo pressure that results from shutting the throttle rapidly under boost conditions. It is necessary to release this pressure because it will try to find a way out of the system, and the only way is back out through the turbo. The pressure side of the valve is attached to the pipe between the turbo and the throttle, and a vacuum hose on the top of the valve is hooked up to the inlet manifold after the throttle body. A spring holds the valve shut. When you are on the throttle, the pressure in the turbo piping and the inlet manifold is equal. This creates pressure on each side of the valve that is equal, thereby canceling itself out, leaving the spring holding the valve shut. When you lift off the throttle, you have high pressure in the turbo piping, and a vacuum in the inlet manifold. The pressure on the bottom of the valve and the vacuum on the top combine to lift the valve open and release the pressure in the turbo piping, since it can no longer go into the engine. For this reason, it cannot damage your motor as the excess pressure simply gets released via the exhaust.

3. Need information about a Blow Off Valve