Q: P0118 - Need help!! 2002 Ford Escort

I have a code that came up p0118 a temp sensor switch. I replaced it and now the car doesn't want to start. it won't turn over and catch but if I unplug the switch it's fires up like brand new. but I have to have it to get it inspected what could it be?

A: Hello - the P0118 problem code indicates th...

Hello - the P0118 problem code indicates that the engine computer is not getting a good signal from the coolant temp sensor. Since you have replaced the temp sensor, the problem may be with the wiring to the sensor - a bad ground between the sensor and the computer. Just in case you did this, you should NOT use sealant tape on the sensor threads, the sensor needs an electrical ground to the engine block. Also, check the ground between the engine and the chassis - this ground path is also critical. For some help with this electrical issue, I would recommend an inspection of the wiring for this sensor by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.