Skip the auto shop - Our mechanics make house calls

Q: Need an oil pan dropped or something else?

asked by on

I was doing a valve cover replacement and with the cover off a piece of hard plastic plastic maybe the size of a quarter broke off and fell into the motor. It was a hard plastic and it fell into a small crevice which looks like an oil drain or return. I can see it in there but retrieving it isn't possible. I'm thinking it will end up washing through to the oil pan and I'll need to drop that to get it out.

Can you help me out with the oil pan drop or whatever course of action you feel I should take?


My car has 56000 miles.
My car has an automatic transmission.

Hello there. Typically when this situation occurs, you will first drain the oil and change the filter before you remove the oil pan. You should recycle the used oil and check it for debris before properly disposing. You should also cut open the oil filter to inspect for debris. If the piece you lost is not found in the existing oil or the oil pan, you can use the recycled oil to pour through the cylinder heads in attempt to "flush" the debris out of the oil galleys. If you can’t find the debris after doing this, you’ll have to remove the heads to find the debris.

Was this answer helpful?

Need advice from certified mechanic? Get help now!

Over 1000 mechanics are ready to answer your question.
The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Get an instant quote for your car

Our certified mechanics come to you ・Backed by 12-month, 12,000-mile guarantee・Fair and transparent pricing

Get a quote

What others are asking

Q: Problm sounds in my car

Hello. Start by trying to identify what kind of noise it is. Does it sound like it is metal on metal? Does the noise happen constantly, intermittently, when you turn, with increasing or decreasing RPMs, while braking, or completely randomly?...

Q: I changed my fuse for the lighter a fuse fell ou next to it I put it back now car starts but will not drive could u help please

Without seeing the fuse box and which fuses fell out this may be tough to diagnose. Try checking the immobilizer fuses (12/37) to be sure they are in the correct place and not burnt. If this does not work, you...

Q: Chirping sound that increases as I drive faster.

It sounds like you may have an idler pulley or the belt is making a squeaking noise. I would have a technician such as one from YourMechanic come and listen to the noise to better determine the cause of the...

Related articles

How Long Does a Heater Control Valve Last?
Keeping the right amount of coolant in a car is essential in keeping the engine at the right temperature. Failing to have the right amount of coolant or even bad elements...
What are the Car Pool Rules in Hawaii?
Hawaii is widely regarded as a land of vacation and relaxation, and as such, its scenic roads and routes are far better known than the state’s freeways. But, as with all...
P2428 OBD-II Trouble Code: Exhaust Gas Temperature Too High Bank 1
P2428 code definition A P2428 trouble code signifies that the PCM has detected a problem in the exhaust gas temperature sensor circuit in bank 1, which subsequently contains the number one...