Q: Need an oil pan dropped or something else?

I was doing a valve cover replacement and with the cover off a piece of hard plastic plastic maybe the size of a quarter broke off and fell into the motor. It was a hard plastic and it fell into a small crevice which looks like an oil drain or return. I can see it in there but retrieving it isn't possible. I'm thinking it will end up washing through to the oil pan and I'll need to drop that to get it out.

Can you help me out with the oil pan drop or whatever course of action you feel I should take?

Thanks.

Hello there. Typically when this situation occurs, you will first drain the oil and change the filter before you remove the oil pan. You should recycle the used oil and check it for debris before properly disposing. You should also cut open the oil filter to inspect for debris. If the piece you lost is not found in the existing oil or the oil pan, you can use the recycled oil to pour through the cylinder heads in attempt to "flush" the debris out of the oil galleys. If you can’t find the debris after doing this, you’ll have to remove the heads to find the debris.