Q: need a way to retain the timing chain

HI all so my dad has a previa that he is working on, there doesn't seem to be any real tools at oreilly, autozone and pepboys to hold the timing chain together, there is one at oreilly (OTC - Timing Camshaft Gear Installation Tool )but its pricy and for GM and it has to be order, the tool goes by the name of Timing chain holder Timing chain retainer Timing chain retention tool Timing chain locking tool

any ideas on how you guys handle timing chains

The best way to approach this unfortunately is by using a timing chain tool retainer/holder tool. You may consider having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home replace the timing chain.