Q: Need a water pump, axle, left control arm, and tire rods - is it worth fixing?

Need a water pump and axle,left control arm, tire rods is it worth fixind

A: Something being "worth fixing" is...

Something being "worth fixing" is a bit subjective. To some people, repairing a car is something they would rather do than get a new/newer car and have a monthly payment. To others, having a new/newer car gives them a sense of security from having a warranty along with those monthly payments. For example, you could spend $5000 in a year repairing an older car and have no monthly payments, or you could have a $400 a month payment on a new/newer car and not have to worry about much of anything besides oil changes and still spend $5000 a year. Of course, this does not consider the cost difference in insuring an older car versus a newer one.

Here are some things to consider when deciding whether to repair an older high mileage vehicle:

1. How long have you had it?
  2. Has it been relatively reliable? Has it been more normal wear and tear repairs or have there been a number of "bigger" repairs?
  3. Has the vehicle been well-maintained with regular service, or has it only been maintained when things broke down?
  4. In this case, we're discussing a 13-year old vehicle with 220,000 miles on it so things are going to come up that need repair/replacement and probably with some frequency.