Q: Need a diagnostic on my power steering.

I took my truck to a big chain place for a squeaky belt and belt tensioner. I was told I needed a new idler pulley, belt, power steering pump, pump pulley, and a power steering flush. I just want to make sure that I actually need all this done.

It is possible that all these may need replaced. A second opinion would not be a bad idea for that much work. Replacing the belt and idler pulley shouldn’t be an issue. I don’t see why the power steering pump and pulley would need to be replaced. Maybe if the pump was leaking excessively it would need replaced but the pulley should be able to be swapped to a new pump in most cases. I would ask for help from one of the mechanics at YourMechanic and they can let you know what should be replaced.