Q: Navigation system and CD player stopped working

Out of the blue my navigational system quit working. I got a message "Cannot Read CD." So I removed the CD and rebooted the system. Now it says "Insert CD or See Dealer." Can you help me or do I need to buy a new unit? Thank you.

A: Hello. Most units for this model are not se...

Hello. Most units for this model are not serviceable. Besides updates and software-type repairs, if there is damage to the unit causing the issue, you must replace it.

Now if there are issues with power supply, that's a different story. You will have to use a volt meter to trace the power supply from its source to the unit. Start by testing at the terminal where the power supply attaches to the unit. If there has been anything installed in the area, or damaged in the area of the power supply, check there for your short first. Typical spots to find issues are areas where corners are turned with the wires, or where other objects in the vehicle come together. If you would like to have this checked, a qualified professional, like one from YourMechanic, can inspect the electric circuits to pinpoint any issues.