Q: My vehicle goes over operating temperature when it comes to a stop

My car overheated last week and no I didn't let it go to red on the temp gauge. I took to a mechanic and he replaced the thermostat. Then a few days later the same thing happened. There was too much pressure and the water would rise up from the reservoir. So I took to a radiator specialist and he just told me it was the cap. Everything seemed okay but now when I cruise it's fine but when I'm on traffic it goes over the middle of the temp gauge and I hear the fans come on. This very abnormal for my vehicle because it would Always stay on the center. Last night it happened when I let it idle on my driveway. Sometimes I do hear a funny noise like with a pulley but the mechanic said there was nothing wrong

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. There are ...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. There are a couple likely scenarios here.

1. Your water pump is failing, causing it to not pump coolant quickly enough at idle to cool it down.

2. You have a failing electric cooling fan. There should be 2 fans on your fan assembly, and if one of them is failing, it can cause an issue very similar to this.

3. You have a partially obstructed or plugged radiator. Blocking the radiator, either externally from airflow, or internally from insufficient coolant flow, will affect the ability of the radiator to do its job, and this may be most prevalent at idle or very low speeds.

I would have a qualified professional, such as one from YourMechanic, investigate those overheating issues, as well as check the vehicle for other potential problems.