Q: My V70 sputters intermittently.

Hi Chris. I have an issue where my Volvo is sputtering like its not firing correctly. I took it to a mechanic that specializes in Volvo repairs. He called me about an hour after dropping it off and said he thinks the problem will be resolved by replacing the spark plugs and ignition coils and he quoted me $670 for this. This seems excessively high. Can you tell me if I should take it for a 2nd opinion or if there is any way this price is justified?

Thank you,

John

I have seen where the electrical connectors to the ignition coils fall apart and will intermittently lose connection and short out. Have the connectors checked to see if they are bad and need repaired or replaced. As far as the replacement of 5 coils and plugs plus diagnosis the costs will vary but the quote you got is not out of line. If you go for a second opinion then you will pay a second diagnosis fee.

3. My V70 sputters intermittently.