Q: My trucks battery keeps dying immediately after I shut it off

One morning my truck wouldn't start so we boosted it and drove it around for half an hour. The battery level went up and would go down if I put the a/c on. Then when I shut it off it won't start again. Also, for a while now when the truck is warm from running for a while if I shut it off it will not start unless I leave the key half turned for like 2 minutes

You may have more than one problem with your truck. The ignition lock cylinder on these trucks would break on the outside and can cause problems with being able to turn the key enough to start the vehicle. A replacement lock cylinder is very inexpensive for the part and makes a lot of difference. The next issue may have is the ignition switch on these trucks go bad and do not make electrical contact in some positions. This is a common problem and requires replacing the electrical part of the ignition switch and checking the actuator rod to see if the rod mechanism is broken in any way on the column near the mechanical ignition lock on the column. After all this is fixed then you can have the battery and charging system checked for problems like a bad battery or cable connections or a bad alternator or both. I recommend having a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose your car’s starting issue. They will be able to come to your home or office to have this issue properly resolved.

3. My trucks battery keeps dying immediately after I shut it off