Q: My truck wont go pass 40 in regular drive...

My truck wont go pass 40 in regular drive... its like its like the engine is straining

Hello there, a few different things can cause the vehicle to be unable to go above 40 MPH. I would expect to see a Check Engine Light with this symptom but this is not always the case. The most likely causes are a clogged fuel filter, engine misfire, failing fuel pump, shift solenoid, or a failing torque converter.

Also, it’s possible that a Check Engine Light has caused the ECU to put the vehicle into a limp mode, this is done to prevent damage to the vehicle until whatever fault is present is resolved. A qualified technician will be able to diagnose your loss of power and perform any repairs required.