Q: My truck won't crank? 1996 Chevrolet K2500

I was driving my truck and suddenly turns off and it wouldn't turn on anymore I've changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs are new cables are 2 years that I put them on fuel pressure is OK good spark on the spark plugs and no start and so I got a rag and soaked it with gas and covered the air filter and it turns on but when I take off the rag it turns off it only starts with the rag on the air filter

Hello. If it starts with the rag, then it is a fuel-related issue. I usually check the fuel pressure just to make sure it is fine. If it is, then I check the injector pulse at the fuel injectors. If there is no pulse, then it may have a failure in the crank sensor. It can also be due to the trucks security system.

If it is equipped with the newest passlock system, then that means that the security system will turn off the injectors when it detects theft. If the security light is on while cranking the engine then this is the issue. If not, then what I would typically do is start by scanning the computer for codes. If there are none, then the sensors need to be monitored to see if all of them are reading correctly. This will usually produce the problem. It can be a problem with the timing chain, so it may be a good idea to check the compression also. A certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the crank-no-start and assist with the correct repair.

3. My truck won't crank? 1996 Chevrolet K2500