Q: My truck turns on then dies while idling

My truck with turn on then start up. Very shortly it almost seems like it's chocking and shakes a bit and the RPMs will drop. My boyfriend cleaned off a piece that had to do with the intake of air to the engine. It was a piece that had gunk all over it. After cleaning it, it did good for a bit. But now I'm having the same problem and it does show the signs of the throttle body sensor which includes it's notaccelerating very consistly. What do you think?

A: Hi there. You may be on the right path with...

Hi there. You may be on the right path with the throttle body. If it is really dirty on the inside, if the idle control valve is failing, or of the throttle position sensor is failing then this will occur. I usually remove the throttle body and clean it well. If that does not help then I test the throttle position sensor. If it is not reading smoothly, then I replace it. If it is working fine, then I would replace the idle control valve. This can also be caused by a fuel system issue if the fuel pump is failing. If you are planning on having this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the idling issue and let you know what needs repair.