Q: My truck stalls out - 1994 Ford F150

I'm at a loss here and am looking for suggestions. Truck runs great, then stalls out whether idling or going down the road. Have to wait 2-30 minutes to restart. Replaced distributor, coil and coil wire. Going to check codes again to see if PIP is still coming up in there. Suggestions so far are ignition switch, eec relay, and distributor (again). Has a mag pickup not an ignition control module. Any thoughts?

A: Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. ...

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. If the PIP is still coming up, then check the wiring going to the distributor and make sure that all wires are connected correctly. If you have a magnetic pickup, then, when the engine is unable to start, check the magnetic pickup for a pulse and see if it is working. If it is working, then you will need to look into the ignition switch and replace it.

This is a common issue on Ford trucks prior to OBD-II systems. If you need further assistance troubleshooting your vehicle, then seek out a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, who can come to your location and help you determine why the engine is shutting off and suggest the needed repairs.