Q: My truck runs and drives it starts with no problem however it takes off slow has oil in the air filter and won't go over 40 mph

I was wondering if you may have had experience with this problem before or know what causes it if so please let me know the main problem is it not being able to go over 40 mph has some oil in the air filter but it starts and runs fine

A: Hello and thank you for contacting YourMech...

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. The oil in the air filter is from the positive crank case ventilation valve (PCV)) is not functioning causing the oil to build up and blow out of the valve into the intake. Replace the PCV valve and clean the tube to the air cleaner.

If the vehicle will not go over 40 mph, then check the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve and see if it is functioning correctly. If the valve fails, the engine will not accelerate under a load and the computer puts the engine in limp mode.

If you need further assistance diagnosing your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to help you with your power loss to the engine.