Q: my truck cut off while I was at a light and wont start back up

truck cut off and wont start back up

Anytime a vehicle dies, or simply won’t start, we need to first find what the motor is missing out of the following:

• Fuel
  • Spark
  • Injector pulse
  • Sensor signal
  • Camshaft timing

It needs every one of these to run. Once you figure out what is missing from these systems, you can begin to follow a diagnostic path. Fuel pumps are very common and I would first check fuel pressure as well as check for spark. Spark is easy to check for, so just do it. Injector pulse requires what is called a noid light and you can find them at your local auto parts store. Checking for a sensor failure requires a scanner and some knowledge of what to look for.

Once you have figured out what is missing, then you can begin to find out what has failed. This will require a repair manual specific to your car.

If everything to this point checks out good, the last suspect is the camshaft timing. This is accomplished with a timing chain system that is fairly complicated on this particular motor.

If you need help diagnosing why your car is not starting, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to check your car and make the appropriate repairs.