Q: My truck accelerates unintentionally when pulling into parking spaces or garages. This has happened twice.

When tapping the gas, the engine will rev and a huge jump in acceleration happens. I wrecked it the first time it happened because I was pulling into a parking space and had no time to stop before it jumped the curb and hit a handrail. Then I take it to a body shop to have it repaired and they almost went through their garage while trying to pull it in. I want to know what could cause this and how can it be diagnosed.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. Many different f...

Hi, thanks for writing in. Many different faults will cause unintended acceleration. The most likely are a floor mat stuck under the gas pedal, a stuck throttle body, or a throttle body motor failure. This is a serious safety issue and the vehicle should not be driven until repairs have been made. A qualified technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your acceleration issues and make any repairs required to get your vehicle back to normal.