Q: My truck accelerates unintentionally when pulling into parking spaces or garages. This has happened twice.

When tapping the gas, the engine will rev and a huge jump in acceleration happens. I wrecked it the first time it happened because I was pulling into a parking space and had no time to stop before it jumped the curb and hit a handrail. Then I take it to a body shop to have it repaired and they almost went through their garage while trying to pull it in. I want to know what could cause this and how can it be diagnosed.

Hi, thanks for writing in. Many different faults will cause unintended acceleration. The most likely are a floor mat stuck under the gas pedal, a stuck throttle body, or a throttle body motor failure. This is a serious safety issue and the vehicle should not be driven until repairs have been made. A qualified technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your acceleration issues and make any repairs required to get your vehicle back to normal.

3. My truck accelerates unintentionally when pulling into parking spaces or garages. This has happened twice.