Q: My transmission is "clunking"

I had my transmission serviced about two months @AMCO; about a week ago i noticed that it was "clunking" when I started to drive, and when I started from a stop sign or stoplight. It also seems to "clunk"when it shifts gears as I'm driving along. If I start VERY slowly, it usually shifts smoothly, but of course, I can't always start "VERY" slowly.I plan on taking the car back to AMCO next week, but in the meantime, do you think I may have a major problem, or is it something minor?Thank you.

A: Sometimes a transmission is serviced when i...

Sometimes a transmission is serviced when it is on the border of starting a problem. This will cause the transmission problem to show itself in a short time. The new fluid will clean out areas of wear, and the thicker old fluid would act on parts like the clutches or leaks in the valve body. The new fluid cleans out these areas and now you will have seals that leak and clutches that slip causing transmission shift problems. This is not the transmission shops fault but a transmission internal failure. If you want to have this checked by an independent mechanic, a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to come to your car’s location to diagnose your transmission issue and pinpoint the faults.