Q: My toyota allion is struggling up hills

My car model is Toyota Allion four wheel full time. Up to few weeks back it was very fine and cruising was not a big deal even up hills. In fact now it slows down up hills even when my accelerator is on the floor with 5 revs. On plain stretches it still performs ok but takes longer to pick. What could be the problem?

Hi there. According to the symptoms you’ve described, this sounds like the CVT transmission is failing. This type of transmission uses a stainless steel belt and 2 adjustable pulleys to vary the gear ratio constantly, thus there is no actual shifting. This type of transmission is designed for smoother acceleration and improved fuel economy. The downside to these transmissions is that they have a high rate of failure and exhibit the symptoms you have described. I have been witness to more abrupt and extreme failures in this type of transmission where the vehicle simply does not move. YourMechanic has several available technicians to assist with the drivability inspection and provide an estimate or direction of repair. Unfortunately, YourMechanic does not provide transmission replacement services.