Q: My Toyota 5L smokes black when gooing uphill and loses efficiency. What could be the problem?

my toyota 5 litre diesel smocks black on going up hills and reduces efficience. this normaly happence together with delayed gear changes being an automatic vehicle, the rave counter will go up to 4 instead of normally 3. however on straight roads it normally changes on 3 but when going on up hill i have to rave up to 4. when it changes to the next gear the smoke stop. i have recently changed the air filter after the warning sign had appeared but the sign could not go off. a mechanic has advise me that i have to disconect the battery for a while for the air filter warning sign go off. what could be the problem for the above.

3. My Toyota 5L smokes black when gooing uphill and loses efficiency. What could be the problem?