Q: My Tahoe is not wanting to start

My Tahoe starts fine the first time, but after that I can try to start it but it won't unless pump the gas a few times and get RPMs up a little

Hey there. By having to feather the throttle a bit when the motor first starts suggests that you may have a low speed fuel delivery problem. This may be related to a dirty or failing idle air control valve.

The idle air control valve monitors the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine at low speeds and at idle. This valve is controlled by the vehicle’s computer which will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature and electrical system load or voltage.

When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed. This is all controlled by the idle air control valve. When the engine RPM drops below the normal range of 750-800 RPM (for most cars), this may indicate a dirty or faulty idle air control valve.

In cases where this valve is dirty or failing, your vehicle may stall instead of slowing to an idle after the release of the throttle. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose the hard start and replace the valve if necessary.