Q: My SUV is leaking oil

I have noticed that my SUV is leaking oil on the garage floor, so I jacked it up and took a look. I wiped off what appears to be a cam shaft speed sensor next to the oil filter, and it kept pooling and moved a little when prodded. Does it have a gasket, and why is there oil coming from it? I don't have my socket set with me so I will remove the skid plate later and look some more. But, what could this be?

A: Hello. If it is the sensor right next to th...

Hello. If it is the sensor right next to the oil filter, then that is the oil pressure switch. These are a common cause of leakage. The sensor itself will either leak around the threads or through the sensor itself. It is typically the sensor itself around the internal housing. I typically start by cleaning the area off completely first and then running the engine to make sure that the leak is coming from there. If can also be from the oil filter housing, but that is not as common. If you are going to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to detect any oil leaks and make the appropriate repairs.