Q: My sump has a little scratch so the oil is leaking, need to know what can i use to patch it its made up of aluminum

My sump got a scratch so the oil is leaking a lil bit n the sump is made of aluminum need to know what can i use to patch it

Thanks for writing in about the oil leaking issue with your 2012 Volkswagen Golf. The aluminum oil sump or pan on any vehicle that is made from aluminum is very difficult to ’patch’ using a bonding material. In the good old days, getting some JB Weld to patch up a small crack on steel was simple and cheap way of getting by. However, doing this on your VW could result in voiding all manufacturers warranties.

This type of repair is something best left to a professional ASE certified mechanic who can either repair it with a MIG or TIG welder or better yet, replace the oil pan correctly so that it doesn’t cause additional damage or lead to potential safety issues.

• My sump has a little scratch so the oil is leaking, need to know what can i use to patch it its made up of aluminum