Q: My steering is stiff, I just had the power steering pump replaced and it still didn't fix the problem

My cars steering is stiff and the steering wheel doesn't return to it's position after turning. I just had the power steering pump replaced and that didn't fix the problem.

Improper vehicle alignment, underinflated tires, and steering linkage defects including mechanical faults in the rack and pinion unit, can all cause hard steering and poor return of the wheel. The pressure line from the pump assembly could have a restriction and that would cause hard steering. Of course, double check pump drive belt tension just in case the issue is a poorly driven pump. Also, you should check the idle-up function for power steering. If that sensor system is not functioning, it could cause hard steering but would not be a cause of the poor wheel return. If you want the necessary diagnostic steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a power steering diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this problem resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. My steering is stiff, I just had the power steering pump replaced and it still didn't fix the problem