Q: My shifter is broken and will not move out of park.

I have lifted the compartment under the shifter up and can't find the button. I was told that it would either be a button down there or there is something that slipped off of the transmission. What should I do so I can drive it to the mechanic without having it towed.

Hello there, many faults will cause your 1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo shifter to be stuck in park. The most common fault is the brake switch, the brake switch locks the shifter until the car detects the brake pedal is pressed. There are a few other potential causes such as failed shifter linkage, locked shifter, or a shift interlock solenoid. A qualified technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your car’s shifting issue firsthand to reduce the possibilities. We will be able to come to you to provide this repair service when it’s most convenient if you’d like. Best of luck.