Q: My serpentine belt and A/C compressor are both broken. Which one caused the other to happen?

My serpentine belt is under warranty, but my a/c compressor, installed recently by someone else, broke and they are saying it broke the serpentine belt, therefore no warranty. Could the serpentine belt breaking have caused the a/c compressor to go bad instead of the other way around?

From what you’ve described, my best guess is that the A/C compressor is the cause of the belt breaking. I have seen many seized compressors break belts. In my whole career I have never seen a serpentine belt break an A/C compressor.

If you decide to getting this fixed, consider contacting a certified mobile mechanic who can come to you and replace your A/C compressor at your own convenience.

• My serpentine belt and A/C compressor are both broken. Which one caused the other to happen?