Q: my rear brakes are making squeaking sounds

so my rear brakes are making some weird squeaking sounds and of course the first thing i checked were the brake pads. the break pads still have a lot of life in them and so i dont know what is wrong. i also checked to see if my wheel bearings were worn as well and they also seemed fine.. the one thing that does concern me is that in the rain my rear breaks dont squeak but instead make a weird gitty sound.. if anything could anyone tell me whats wrong?

A: Wheel bearings will typically whine, howl, ...

Wheel bearings will typically whine, howl, or grumble constantly so that is not likely.

Disc brake pads have ears on the metal backing of the pad that rest on stainless tabs and there is metal to metal contact on the back of the pad; metal backing to both the caliper torque bracket and the caliper piston.

There are also shims used in many applications. It could be that all the high temperature lubricant that is placed at these points, and the shims, have worn off. There are also sliding bushings that could be dry.

You might also consider the surface roughness of the disc; if the disc is severely scored or worn, that could be implicated in noise generation.

It is possible to disassemble everything and add disc brake lubricant to see if that helps.