Q: My Question is I have s 2004 Ford e xplore and going into 3rd gear it bangs also my O/D light is flashing maybe repl VSS sensor

The car going into 3rd gear bangs also reverse is alittle ruff the O/D light is flashing also other than that the trans is smooth it doesn't slip at all it is a nice ride. I was surfing the Web and some people were saying it is proably the VSS sensor. I was curious what your thought might be?

Unfortunately, this model is plagued by transmission failures. If you input your model year at the NHTSA website, you will see nearly 500 complaints on just the power train (transmission) alone which is a very large number in my experience. Thirty-five percent of all complaints on this vehicle pertain to the powertrain, again a disproportionate share. With regard to your particular issue, there are at least 4 Technical Service Bulletins (TSB’s you will see those at the NHTSA website as well) that are relevant and those should be utilized during the diagnostic. The vehicle speed sensor is one of a dozen or more possible causes of delayed or abrupt shifts and, in any event, that specific sensor can be tested or monitored with a scan tool to rule the sensor in or out. Inasmuch as delayed, or abrupt, shifting has more than one cause, the best way to diagnose these transmissions is via the decision tree in the Factory Service Manual. You can try to test the VSS as an experiment but honestly, the only way to do the diagnosis is to start at the top of the decision tree (in conjunction with the TSB’s of course) and work your way down until the fault is pinpointed. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. My Question is I have s 2004 Ford e xplore and going into 3rd gear it bangs also my O/D light is flashing maybe repl VSS sensor