Q: My old Mercedes is shaking back and forth at 80kmh and then stalling

Its a 1984 Mercedes Benz 200 which idles perfectly but when u get up to about 80kmh it starts to yank back and forth really hard almost like something is tugging it forward and the back, it does that and then stalls after 10 sec no mater what u do ... Ifyou then turn the key it starts up just fine and runs normally until u get back up to 80 then it does it again ... it has been driven gently al its life and have been really taken care of .

What you have described, back in the old days, are classic symptoms of a fuel pump failing or a clogged fuel filter. The pump can move enough fuel to keep the car going at slow speeds, but the engine starts to starve when you really put a demand on it. But the fuel pump may not be the only issue. The old Mercedes had a fuel tank screen that could become plugged with rust, not allowing the fuel pump to draw enough fuel to keep the engine happy. The screen is accessible through a plug in the bottom of the tank. Cleaning it is a miserable job, though, because you have to deal with all of that gas pouring out of the bottom when you take out the plug. If you decide you don’t want to take the job on, have a technician inspect your car’s acceleration problem and check the fuel pump for you.

3. My old Mercedes is shaking back and forth at 80kmh and then stalling