Q: My oil pressure rises and lowers.

So over 2 months ago my check engine light came on. I had it checked and it was a thermometer in the engine. I have yet to get that fixed. Also over the past 2 weeks while i drive, my oil pressure begins to rise, then once it shifts, the oil pressure drops and goes back to normal. I’ve noticed if i don’t apply as much gas it won’t do that. Also my service 4wd gage turns on as well. Not sure if all of these are tied together at all. My temperature gage doesn’t move at all which is a good sign, and it doesn’t seem like I’m burning oil (atleast to my knowledge). There is a clicking noise that comes and goes in my engine bay as well.

The faults that have caused the check engine light (CEL) to illuminate should be repaired because if the check engine light is constantly illuminated, any new faults that occur will be invisible to you. If the CEL is already and always on, there is no way to be alerted to the existence of NEW trouble codes, if such arise. In your circumstance, you should request a check engine light diagnostic and the mechanic will diagnose and fix the current issues. With regard to oil pressure, minimum engine oil pressure, at idle, varies by engine but you should see about 5-10 PSI at idle. Generally, pressure will rise about 10 PSI for every 1,000 RPM. Consequently, pressure could rise to 40 to 50 PSI at high engine speed. Pressure will vary with engine speed, just as you are seeing, because the oil pump RPM varies directly with engine speed. If you suspect that the operating range for oil pressure in your vehicle is not within acceptable limits, please request an engine oil pressure diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. My oil pressure rises and lowers.