Q: My not select gear

My car some times when I start driving refuse to select gear. This problem has become more frequent and is giving me concern. What is the solution?

A: From what you describe it would appear th...

From what you describe it would appear that your vehicle is having issues shifting. The first thing I would do is check the transmission fluid to see if it may be low or dirty. Low, or excessively dirty fluid can cause all sorts of transmission issues, including problems shifting. If the fluid looks okay then I would consider the possibility of some sort of transmission issue. Perhaps a sensor or shift solenoid have failed and need to be replaced. If not, it may be possible that the transmission is simply worn out and slipping, due to old age. I suggest having this looked at by a qualified technician, like one from YourMechanic, for a proper diagnoses of the shifting issue.