Q: My manual gear shift has 'fallen out'.

To get to reverse, you push down and shift to the left of where first is. Everything was driving fine until the next time I went to get in my car are drive, the gear shift sat way lower than normal and was loose, like it fell out of its regular position down even past where you'd have to push down to get in reverse. I could pull it up and get it into gear but it was very difficult and the gears positions seemed a little different (to the side). Also, shifting in and out, it clearly felt like the distance to get into gear was much, much less. When in neutral, it naturally wants to rest way, way down lower. That makes getting into first, always want to get in reverse.

The VW Van has a number of plastic bushings and a big ball and socket joint, all of which are subject to breakage. The good news is that your problem is far more likely to be in that linkage than it is to be in the transmission. Most of the repairs can be done from underneath or from inside the car without a lot of prior disassembly. Contact Your Mechanic and they can send a technician to your home or office who will check out your shifter and tell you what can be done to fix it.