Q: My Jeep started fine. I adjusted the tilt steering. The airbag light came on but it continued to run fine. Shut Jeep off and would not start again

I started my Jeep with no problem at all. While driving it the lever for the tilt steering dropped allowing the steering wheel to drop (it has done this since I have owned it). So just like every time before I pushed the steering wheel back up and pushed the lever back up. But this time there was an alert sound and the airbag light came on and stayed on. I continued to drive to my destination which was about 3 miles with no problem at all. When I went to start it again it would not turn over. The lights and gauges all worked, but when I turned the key there was nothing. It would roll over if you cranked it at the starter, but it would not start. I think something went wrong in the steering column, but I do not know what. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The air bag light comes on when the computer detects an issue with the vehicle’s air bag safety system. This can have many potential causes, including a faulty sensor, wiring, air bag unit, computer, among other things. If you were having issues with the steering column, it may be possible that one of the airbag system components located in the steering column, such as an airbag module or sensor, has had an issue. If these components are linked to the starting system then this may be part of the reason why the vehicle is not starting. If the engine is cranking when you turn the key, then that is a good sign that the starter is getting power, so that rules out most of the no start issues related to the starting and electrical systems.

It may also be possible that the no start condition is a completely separate issue from the airbag light, as there are many things, not related to the airbag system, that can cause a no start condition. A few common non air bag related causes are issues with the fuel, ignition, or engine management systems. If any of the components to these systems, such as the fuel pump, ignition coils, or an engine management sensor, fail or have an issue, they may cause the vehicle to Retrieving the trouble codes using a scan tool capable of reading airbag system codes as they will likely shed some light on what the cause of the issue may be, or if the two are related. If you are unsure, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose and repair the cause of the no start condition.

3. My Jeep started fine. I adjusted the tilt steering. The airbag light came on but it continued to run fine. Shut Jeep off and would not start again