Q: My Jeep got rear ended and will crank over but will not run

My Jeep got rear ended and will crank over but will not Run. I can feel the relay kick in for the fuel filter when I turn the ignition on. I sprayed some starting fluid and it ran on the fumes for a second or so. I looked at most of the gas lines and they seemed fine. What is my Problem?

Hello. You are on the right track, and it may very well be a fuel issue. Without some further testing, it’s impossible to definitively say what the issue is.

You will want to start by checking the fuel module. This unit includes the fuel level sensor and the pump. It is likely that the pump’s power supply could have been interrupted.

The relay you are referring to is located in the main fuse box in the engine bay, and is responsible for protecting the fuel pump. Typically you will hear the fuel pump begin to prime when you turn the key to the "On" position before attempting to turn it over.

If you do hear this faint "whirling" sound of a pump priming, then that is a good sign. If the module is not working, you may want to check the fuel pump relay. This would be one way power would be cut to the pump/module.

Check to see if the fuel level reads accurately on the dashboard when the vehicle is turned to "On"? This would indicate the module has power as well. If the fuel system is not at fault, you may also want to scan the vehicle for diagnostic troubleshooting codes. This may tell you what systems are not working correctly. If you would like to have this checked, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose why the vehicle will not run and guide your through repairs.