Q: My ignition key sometimes does not turn in the cylinder

A mechanic used the wrong key in the ignition( it was stuck at one point), and as a result, I have trouble turning the key in order for the car to start. What parts need to be replaced, and what else needs to be done? do I need a new key?

Hi there. When the wrong key was used, in order to start your vehicle. Damage to the ignition lock cylinder tumblers, may have occurred, and repair or replacement is required. Another key may not work any better, unless your present key is worn. Having the dealer cut a new key by the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number), would work better than duplicating a worn key. To avoid any unnecessary repairs, I recommend having a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your car’s ignition key issue. Best of luck.

3. My ignition key sometimes does not turn in the cylinder