Q: My front passenger seatbelt wont release. I've allowed it to fully retract. I've taken off panels the belt is not twisted 1997 Mercury Sable

I have had this issue "fixed" by several people. They all said the belt was twisted. It was never fixed. It would work once then not release again. I've taken the panels off and can see that the belt is not twisted. I have let it fully retract. That does nothing to help release it I've had people tell me to soak the locking mechanism with cleaner. That hasn't worked. Is there any trick to force it to release?

Hello. It sounds like the retractor itself is failing. This is common on this vehicle, especially as they get older. The mechanism wears out and the teeth inside of it no longer line up correctly and cause this. The unit will need to be replaced in order to fix it properly.

3. My front passenger seatbelt wont release. I've allowed it to fully retract. I've taken off panels the belt is not twisted 1997 Mercury Sable