Q: My exhaust manifold is cracked

Can flooring the gas or driving hard crack the exhaust manifold. Our 23 yr old has been using the car here and there

A: Hello. There are many variables here, but g...

Hello. There are many variables here, but generally speaking, occasional "spirited" driving of short duration won't cause manifold cracking. You do see manifold cracking with sustained high-load, high-engine heat operation - heavy trucks running at full-throttle or recreational vehicle engines running at highway speeds for longer distances, for example. Bad manifold design is sometimes a factor. You don't indicate a make, model, year, or specific engine, so it's impossible to know if this is an engine with a known manifold problem.

I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine what exactly is wrong and replace the exhaust manifold if necessary.