Q: My engine light came on and my mileage needle is not working what can it be

My engine light came on and my mileage needle is not working what can it be

A: Hi there: What you're describing may b...

Hi there:

What you're describing may be due to a bad or faulty speedometer sensor. This device is inside your transmission and registers vehicle speed, sends the messages to the on board computer, then to the dashboard. One of the common symptoms is that the Check Engine Light will come on.

A malfunctioning speedometer can be a safety issue, so I'd suggest that you contact a local ASE certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, as soon as possible so they can properly diagnose the issue and repair it for you. Good luck.