Q: My emergency brake can be pulled without having to push the button

My emergency brake can now be pulled without having to push the button. It never used to do that and now it is. How can I make it go back to having to push the button? I'm scared that I'm going to accidentally lift when I'm driving.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. Have a technicia...

Hi, thanks for writing in. Have a technician check the emergency brake ratchet mechanism in the handle for any problems like a broken spring or ratchet gear. Also have them check the emergency brake cables for proper tension. It may just need to be adjusted. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect the brake for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.